Saturday, February 23, 2013

Melting

For the first time in weeks, the daytime temperature here in Seymour reached 40 degrees.  By the end of the day, yesterday's snow had melted off the sidewalks and the driveway was almost clear. I pulled the car out on the drive to defrost with the hope that the brakes would warm up and become workable again. No luck so far, but Sunday and Monday's sun might do the trick.

The streets and sidewalks were still slippery so once again I didn't go out walking and stayed home. Breaking a leg before spring doesn't appeal. These days between snow storms are the most dangerous. It's either walk on sidewalks and risk a fall or walk in the streets dodging traffic. With the brakes out, I am stuck here.

With a lack of exercise Seasonal Affective Disorder has gotten worse.  I sleep eight or nine hours a night and take two hour naps most afternoons.  The full doses of Vitamin D-3 and St. John's wort, a light board and lots of dark chocolate aren't working any more. I can't concentrate enough to get any work done. I am not answering e-mails or letters because my missives sound too, too depressing. I don't even talk to Gary or Chris in his family all that much.

Yet, I know that I am coming to the end of this. March is a few days away, the spring equinox only 25 days. A year ago, there were snowdrops blooming on March 11. We were even out in a canoe on the Wolf River in mid-March last year.

So I watch DVDs, read books, let my wander, and sleep a lot.  It all will be over in a week or so.



No comments:

Post a Comment