Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Brakes Go


Even with a window sill full of spring flowers, winter drags me down. 

The morning started well with a Skype session with Wade to discuss our joint venture at Black Coffee Fiction. We agreed to sell our books at Sissy's in Seymour during March in April.  I don't have any good bookings where I could sell the books until May.  It was so good to talk to Wade.  I hadn't seen him since before the tour began in January.  We agreed to Skype every Wednesday.  

So the day began well.  In the afternoon, I decided to drive to the Oneidas' buffalo farm on Coopers Road to look for the rough legged hawks Dan told me about two days ago. The roads were still slushy from yesterday's snow so I proceeded with caution as I drove down the road.  Good thing because when I spotted a big bird on a tree, I hit the brakes and nothing happened.  I came to a gradual stop.  

First things first, I got the binoculars and checked the hawk. Just then he flew off, showing me all his markings.  It was indeed a rough legged hawk. As he disappeared, I saw another and another and another, four in all.  Dan was so right. 

My plan was to go on to the area west of Freedom where I had seen snowy owls before, but the brakes changed that plan.  I tested the brakes and found out they still worked a bit.  If I took it slow, I would be all right.  

And so I was,  I manged to get the car back to the garage.  Now I have to wait because that brake failure could easily be the result of the icy slush I was driving through.  It's happened to me before.  I won't take it to the mechanics until I know for sure and it will take a thaw to find out. That might take another week. 

I hate February.  


No comments:

Post a Comment