Thursday, February 21, 2013

Frozen Brakes

This morning I got on my hands and knees and took a look under the Mercury Sable.  It was as I thought, the slush had frozen and coated the bottom of the car.  During the winter, ice chunks form behind the front wheels. Usually, it only takes a kick to knock these chunks off, but they are frozen solid to the car tonight. 
Sandy at Sissy's reported that the same thing happened to her yesterday.  

So instead of taking the car to the mechanics to look at the brakes, I am letting the old girl rest in the garage. Over the next week there will be days of higher temperatures and soon there will be the thumps of falling ice. 

How do I know this?  Because at my age, everything that could go wrong, has. This may be the fourth or fifth time I've had iced brakes.  I recognize catastrophes and I know I can deal with them.  No expensive mechanics for me.

I can't take the car out anyhow.  Another winter storm is headed our way, the same one that has been pummeling the Midwest for two days. Because I'll be holed up, I've taken up my mixing bowls. Tonight I started with double Dutch chocolate cake.  Tomorrow it will be banana bread and a pound cake.  I'll freeze the baked goods up in small packages and throw them in the big freezer.  

After that, I'll go out and shovel to wear off all those calories.  


No comments:

Post a Comment