Friday, February 22, 2013

Chain Mail

Before there was e-mail, there was chain mail.  Those were letters you sent to ten people you knew, telling them that they had to send it to ten people they knew.  Sometimes the people were supposed pray.  Sometimes they were supposed to tell ten people they loved them.

Sometimes it was a recipe exchange.  Write down ten recipes and send them to ten people.  Or ask everyone to send children's books and on and on and on.

Other than time and postage, those weren't especially harmful except that they said if you didn't comply you would have bad luck. I never participated, and nothing bad happened.

There were those that asked the recipient to ask ten people to send $10 two senders before the letter they got.  It was a scheme. Chain letters were made a federal offense with penalties through the post office.

Now we have social media and we get the same thing.  We get e-mails telling us to pass on such stuff or something bad will happen to us within a month. We are ordered to post on Facebook to say we love our sisters, mothers, fathers, or whatever.  Some days half  the posts I get are like that.  Mornings seem to consist of delete, delete, delete, because, sorry, I delete all the e-mails and hide the messages from Facebook. I haven't the time. If I want to tell someone I love them, I tell them. I do not send messages out to cyberspace.

It's ridiculous waste of time.  I wish people would cut it out.







  

No comments:

Post a Comment