Sunday, December 9, 2012

Snow and Soup

With snow coming in fast from Minnesota, I had no plans to leave Mathom House this morning.  It was soup day.

I still had squash from Seymour's farmers market.  Squash is a wonderful vegetable that stores beautifully, but it is December, time to cook it.  I had delicious squash soup at Sissy's and thought that would be the best thing to make. Sandy told me a little about the recipe but I have a terrible memory so all I remembered was that it contained chicken broth and I had plenty of that in the cupboard.

No problem, I could Google a recipe. However, when I began to search through the many recipes I found that all required butternut squash and chicken broth, that was certain, but all the recipes required items I didn't have on hand.  As usual, I would be making up my own version, using this and that.

I was supposed to core, peel and cube the squash and boil it, but I like baking it because it is so much easier to peel plus the oven warms up the house.  After about 90 minutes the squash was done.  I put it in a pan with two cans of chicken broth and a chopped up onion. I remembered that some of the recipes called for garlic.  I didn't have that but I had some garlic and pepper powder that Gary puts on almost everything. I added a liberal dose.  Marjoram would add something, I thought  That went in, too.

I let that simmer for a couple of hours then remembered something about cream cheese.  Eight ounces went into the pot for another hour of simmering.

Finally, I was supposed to put it all through a blender but mine broke a few years ago.  I tried a hand mixer but the soup was still lumpy.  I found a battery operated hand held blender in the back of a drawer and used that instead (miracle of miracles, the batteries were still good) until the soup was smooth.

The soup was wonderful, smooth and so rich it was like eggnog.  I divided it into smaller portions to freeze.

Then I went out to shovel snow.

----

Old cat Rascal has been sleeping under the Christmas tree.  When he wakes up refreshed and feeling like a kitten, he bats ornaments off the trees.  But I know his tricks by now, so all the decorations he can reach are unbreakable. Re-decorating is my first job of the morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment