Saturday, December 8, 2012

Home Alone

With Gary in Illinois, and likely to be there for some time, I'm alone here in this house. Not lonely, however.

I lived alone for years so I am used to that, certainly more used to living with a man.  Gary, too, lived a solitary existence before he came to this house.  We adapted by having separate offices on different floors.

Still, he was always around. This week I came to the realization that I liked having the place to myself.  Gary is a packrat and stuff kept spreading.  I like simplicity. Having so many things in the rooms made me feel claustrophobic. I avoided the living and dining rooms almost entirely. The kitchen was becoming almost unworkable.

Since Gary is gone for now, I set about doing a clearance. I cleared out the tools he left lying about, threw out newspapers and magazines, and put dishes and pots we weren't using in bins. I took out the extra leaf in the dining room table so the room isn't so crowded.  

The most important thing was to clear the floors so I can walk through a room without fear of tripping on things.
All of Gary's things are now in boxes in his basement or in his office.  Eventually, I suppose he can sort things out.  But for now, the house is more comfortable....at least in my opinion.

The house is ready for my yearly solstice party.  

No comments:

Post a Comment