Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Candlelight


After a warmer than average fall, the temperatures are dropping here in Wisconsin. Winter is on us. 

The trick is to trick myself into thinking the house is warmer than it is and that calls for candles. Over the summer I visit rummage and garage sales looking for them. I don't care if they are so old the scent is gone.  It is the flickering flames I need in the winter. 

This summer I came up with two 50 count bags of tea lights and a dozen large jar candles at rummage sales.  I found a dozen smaller jar candles on clearance at a retail store for 25 cents each. That's enough candles to keep me going into February at least.   

We set the temperature very low at night. I am the first up.  Until the furnace kicks into high gear, I wear a sweatsuit over long underwear topped with a jacket. The first thing I do is to walk around the house lighting candles that will burn until the sun comes up. A good cup of tea to warm my hands and I can work on this computer. 

Around the time the sun is shining, the furnace kicks in and soon after, I blow out the candles.  

In the evening I do the same, using the tea lights that burn for a little over two hours.  I put them in ceramic holders that hold the warmth.  When the candles burn out, it's time for bed. By then I've had an electric blanket heating up the bed.  I crawl in, turn the blanket off and I'll be warm until the next morning.  

With a little bit of planning, the heat bills are low.  I'll survive until spring. 

------
I am on Twitter now.  You can find me by going to Colleen Sutherland@MathomGardens.  I am new at this and I'm not sure that anyone really wants to read more than this daily blog.  I'm on Facebook as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment