Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Winter Birds

This morning, my cat Rascal was on my lap sleeping.  My feet were up on the desk and there was no way to work on the computer.  The Toni Morrison book I've been reading was upstairs beside my bed.  The sudoku puzzle was out of reach.  I was listening to Christmas music on the stereo. 

Rascal does not take kindly to being disturbed when he has a good napping spot. There was nothing to do but sit still and look out the window to watch the birds at the feeders.  

The robins, hummingbirds, house wrens and starlings are no longer hanging out in our backyard.  The mourning doves and house sparrows are always here, but now the winter birds have returned. In the course of the morning, I saw both downy and hairy woodpeckers, red-breasted and white breasted nuthatches, cardinals, goldfinches, chickadees, house finches, blue jays, and dark eyed juncos. 

My old friend, the red-bellied woodpecker is back after two years away.  Dan, the city's all around handyman, claims that the bird has been in his yard and that the only reason he returned here is that Dan has been too busy to keep his feeders filled. 

Winter and cold weather brings the birds to us, that and the many seed-laden plants in my back yard. Most of the neighbors carefully clear their yards, but I like the look of the colorful birds with the backdrop of the snow covered shrubs.  

It is good of Rascal to slow me down enough to enjoy what goes on right outside the window.  Lovely. 


No comments:

Post a Comment