Thursday, December 13, 2012

Use By Soup

As the year winds down, I take inventory of my goals, my projects, my life, but also of my kitchen cupboards. I check the expiration dates.  In a very few cases, there are things that must be thrown out, but there are also some things that need to be used up very soon.

Today, I made what I call "Use By Soup". In the cupboard were the following:
one can of chili
two cans of cream of mushroom soup (bought to make a sauce, I think)
one can of tomato soup
one can of diced tomatoes
one can of sliced potatoes (canned potatoes comes in handy on camping trips)
one can of mustard greens (why those were there I have no idea)
one can of green beans
one can of creamed corn (I figured its sweetness would balance the bitterness of the mustard greens)

What they all had in common was that the expiration dates had just passed or were about to.

Into the big soup pan they went.  I added onions and okra from my garden, the very last bit of cabbage from the farmers market, some carrots and celery close to going bad, some garlic cloves, and one potato I found at the bottom of the bin. I threw in some herbs, including farmers market basil that I had dried.

The soup simmered all day and tonight I had it for supper and deemed it incredibly good. I doubt that I will ever replicate it.  Twelve individual containers are now in the freezer, good nourishing food made from things that I could have thrown away.

---------

Tonight there is supposed to be a meteor shower, so I went for a walk, but with all of Seymour's lights I couldn't see any shooting stars.  Instead, I wandered around town looking at the holiday displays until I got to the Seymour museum and the memorial trees.  Families donate and decorate trees in memory of those who have gone before.  Most are for parents but sadly one or two are for the children who died too young.  It is a forest of trees, much nicer than a cemetery, I thought. Every year there are more. All of Depot Street is awash in Christmas lights. I take visitors over to see them during the holiday season.

-------

Wade e-mailed the good news that we have earned our first royalties from our Black Coffee Fiction e-book. My share isn't much, no more than three ice cream cones at Sissy's, but it is only the first. Next month's royalties will include the print version as well.  These small monthly checks will be welcome.

We will be signing books on Saturday at Sissy's on North Main Street in Seymour from 3-5 pm but anyone can order the book from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Coffee-Fiction-Stories-Volume/dp/1480131571
  

No comments:

Post a Comment