Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Nursing Home

Today I went to a Lutheran nursing home in Green Bay that I had performed at before. Each time I go to this home, it brings back a memory from 15 years ago.

It was a warm spring day.  I was heading to Green Bay for the performance.  My mother wondered if she could come along so that we could go shopping later.  Fine, I said.

But when we got to the nursing home, my mother was surprised, because she thought I would be telling stories at a school.  Come on in, I said.  You can watch.

But she refused.  She said she would prefer to sit in a gazebo on the grounds.  Come on, I said, it's going to be an hour and a half.  You don't want to be out here all that time.  But she sat down and refused to come in.  She simply was not going to budge.

I did the performance, came out and she was still there, fanning herself because of the hot day.

It wasn't until we were shopping that I began to understand that she was afraid of nursing homes, and especially a Lutheran nursing home. She was a Lutheran and she thought that I might be planning on leaving her there.  Paranoia, plain and simple.

In fact, she died suddenly and never had to live in such a facility.  I think about that every time I perform at Woodside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment