Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Book and the Future

This afternoon I met Nikki and Wade at the Copper Rock Downtown coffee shop.  We were there to talk writing and plan for the future.

Wade had our first order of our short story anthology, a box with ten books. Nikki immediately bought two of them and I began to obsess about whether or not we'd have enough for our first two book signings. Wade and I signed her copies, and realized we have to start thinking of pithy remark.

Wade  made up a poster for the signing on the 17th.  I put a copy on the coffee shop bulletin board. Nikki took two to put up in the building where she works.

Then it was time to talk about the future.

Wade and his family will be moving to Arkansas at the end of the year. We will keep the blog going long distance. After all, Betty is part of our trilogy and she is in Colorado, so we know it can be done.  But I will miss our weekly meetings. Writing is difficult enough without losing our support system. I will be driving through Arkansas in January or February on my way to the Gulf so may drop in to see him and his family.

Nikki may be gone next year, too, either to Washington State or Ireland, she thinks, though neither is certain. If it is Ireland, I'll go visit her there, too.

Nikki sold a short story which was exciting news.  The short story Wade sold a while back is yet to be published.  No matter, our short stories are in print, we're published authors who are re-working novels during what Nikki calls PseudoNaNoWriMo. We're awesome people.

Change, change, change.  I always survive it, and I will survive this, too. But Lord, I will miss these people.


No comments:

Post a Comment