Monday, November 5, 2012

Election Day

Gary and I have a standing date to spend Election Day together somewhere far from the telephone, computer and television.  We've voted so there is no point in listening to an all day, all evening rehash. How much better would be a day with nature, perhaps some bird watching or hiking a trail.  

In 2008, we went for a drive and wound up in Marquette, Michigan, and stayed the night.  

It isn't only elections we like to avoid.  When Princess Diana died, we went camping in a remote place and were the only people I know that missed the funeral.  During the aftermath of the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001, while others were glued to their televisions, I spent days at various nature centers enjoying the quiet and clear blue skies that were the result of aircraft being grounded.

If that sounds strange, I can only say I don't live vicariously. If I were in the middle of a tragedy, I like to think I would be right in there helping people out, but watching tragedy on television strikes me as a bit macabre.

Unfortunately, the forecast for tomorrow is snow and at this time of year, that could mean drizzle and ice on the roads. If it gets bad, we'll go nowhere. Instead we'll select some DVDs and stay home watching those.  I should make good progress on my novel, too.  Gary has some projects in the basement. I might even get around to doing some baking.

It will be over by Wednesday morning, or so we hope.  In an election this close, who knows when it will be over. The 2000 election took days and a final Supreme Court decision to end the agony.

But meanwhile, we don't need to obsess about it.






No comments:

Post a Comment