Friday, November 9, 2012

Happy Birthday, Gary!

Today Gary turned 69.  He said not to buy him a present and I agreed, mostly because the only thing he would really like are toys that would cost me around $200 or more, things like a trail camera or a new camper. Nothing I can afford.

Yesterday I stopped at the Dollar Tree and was surprised to find metallic helium balloons. I talked to the sales woman and asked how they could afford to sell them for a dollar when the cost of helium had gone up so much. She said she had been told that they wouldn't be selling them much longer. I bought four balloons and hid them in my closet.


I woke up early this morning to get the house ready before Gary woke up.

I put the balloons around the house then located three "Happy Birthday" banners I bought at the hardware store last year for 25 cents each and hung them at windows.


Then I set to work and baked a spice cake and made a cream cheese frosting, using sale items.  I think the entire cake cost me less than $2.00.

Finally, I took him out to eat lunch at the China Garden downtown.  The lunch was half the price of a dinner, more in line with my budget, and still the restaurant gave us so much to eat we had to ask for takeout cartons.

I worked within my budget and I think Gary still enjoyed his birthday.  He certainly liked that cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment