Saturday, September 1, 2012

Weight Loss

I have been struggling with weight all my life.  Despite eating healthy food and exercising strenuously, I was thirty pounds overweight and had been for about a year.  Prior to that I lost weight to avoid knee replacement surgery, but it came back.  Gary moved in with me and together we began to eat far too many of the meals I prepared for us.

Of course, he gained weight, too.  In November, he had his yearly physical.  His doctor found some problems he said should be addressed.  Gary took this very seriously and decided to lose thirty pounds.  His weight goal was 166 pounds.  I don't remember why that exact weight, perhaps what he weighed in high school.

My goal was 150, which I thought possible. I have no serious health issues.  All my yearly blood work shows I am in near to perfect health, other than a little arthritis.  I can still walk with a bounce in my step.  Still, I would really have liked to lose some of that belly fat.

Together, I thought we could reach our goals.  We went to the fitness center to lift weights. We took walks together although I tended to walk a lot more than he did. We cut back on fatty foods and sugars.  Gary began to read labels on packages.

It's been nine months since we started to work out.  Gary returned from camping today and for the first time in a month, weighed himself.  He weighed 166 lbs exactly. His thirty pounds simply melted off. He looks incredible for a man of 68.

After all that exercising and dieting, I am still thirty pounds overweight.

I think I may have to murder him.




No comments:

Post a Comment