Sunday, September 2, 2012

Good Deals

I hate shopping.

Gary loves shopping.   His idea of a great date is to take me to Walmart.  He seems oblivious to the fact that I hate shopping.  Half asleep, I push the cart around while he throws things into it. But here's the thing, while I'm wandering around bored out of my mind, I am the one who finds great bargains.

Today, at Menards, Gary was looking at shelving for the bathroom. He asks my opinion but he always makes the decision and I don't really care about stuff like that so I wandered off to talk to Sallie Jo in the garden center.  She wasn't busy and is always happy to discuss the strange behavior of men.  While we were dissing our significant others I spotted 2012 seed packets marked down to five cents.  From experience I know that some kinds of seeds will grow even if they're as much as five years old so I bought carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, and three kinds of squash, ten packets at all for a total of 53 cents. I'll put them away for next spring's planting.

Next Gary wanted to go to Walmart.  I hate Walmart so I went to Culvers instead to get some cookie dough custard. I was to meet him at Walmart but I walked by a salon and noticed the beauticians weren't busy and boy, I needed a haircut badly.  I went in and with the senior discount, got a haircut for $9.   I was nicely shorn and even got a coupon for $3 off on my next cut.

I met Gary at Walmart, where he admired my cut and decided to go back and get one himself.

While Gary was at the salon, I went back to Walmart to look for some cole slaw dressing he hadn't been able to find. He doesn't like to ask for directions. I talked to three workers who didn't know where I could find it but the fourth had had to clean up a broken bottle of the dressing the day before. He described what a broken bottle of slaw dressing looks like and how it can splatter all over the shelves.

A woman giving out samples insisted I take a free feminine napkin, something someone my age has no use for but she was insistent. She was down to only a few samples and I suppose she couldn't quit until they were gone.  I guess I will use it for dusting.  Hey, it was free!








No comments:

Post a Comment