Wednesday, August 29, 2012

What You Need to Know about Cats

I've had cats all of my life and learned a few truths about them.

1.  Cats are unreliable.  Rascal serves as my cat alarm and wakes me almost every morning at 6:00 a.m. so I don't turn on my alarm.  It seems to be broken anyhow.  This morning I was to meet Wade in Appleton in 10:00 a.m.

No cat came in to wake me up.  Well, that was OK because the clock said 6:33.  I yawned stretched and put on my reading glasses to read in bed for a while.  I glanced back at the clock which now said 8:33.  I had less than an hour to get ready.  I leaped out of bed, hit the shower while my tea bag was working its way into a cup of hot water.  I forgot my cell phone, didn't pack all I needed for the day.  

All because Rascal is unreliable.

2.  Cats are fussy.   The cat food that was wonderful yesterday is not acceptable today. Turkey with gravy is almost always good.  At Thanksgiving, Rascal sits in front of the stove staring at the oven.  Today he looks at his bowl and says, "Surely you jest."

3.  Cats punish us.  I once had a cat that unrolled the toilet paper in the bathroom whenever I went someplace over night.  He never did it any other time.  Rascal punishes me by ignoring me but since I don't mind he soon quits.

4.  Cats are territorial but aren't really serious about it.   Rascal screeches in Siamese dialect at Koala and Mittens, but they don't get into fisticuffs about it. These days Rascal's tail doesn't even fluff up.  He always looks relieved when I haul his fuzzy bottom back in the house.

5.  You got the cat to keep the house free of rodents.  Instead the cat hauls in chipmunks and baby bunnies and lets them loose in your office where they crawl behind and under the furniture. This wrecks a writer's concentration.

5.  Cats lie.  Rascal does his best to convince me he hasn't been fed for twenty-four hours (unless I need him to wake me up).  He assures me that it was something else that chewed on the bread I left sitting on the counter.   "Who, me?"  He is not to be believed.

6. Cats love you and want to sit on your lap....but only when they are cold.

If, however, you still want a cat, Mittens and Koala still need homes.




No comments:

Post a Comment