Sunday, August 26, 2012

Solitude

Today, my little family, Chris, Tisha, and Evan, came to take me out to eat.  Evan is seven now.  He lost his top two front teeth earlier this year and permanent teeth are coming in. As those big teeth come in, the shape of his face is changing. He no longer looks like my baby grandson.  When I got home I took out the photo albums and thought back.

They called me from the hospital on that first day.  I came in an hour after he was born.  The first thing I said to him was, "So, what have you learned so far?"  Then I read him his first book.

Today he is reading his own books.  He's going into the second grade, but his first grade scores showed he's working on a higher level.  He knows more about computers than I do.  He's learned a lot so far.

Now I'm alone again, and other than writing this blog, I have been contacting libraries, senior residences, schools, and nursing homes to organize work for the fall and winter. I finished reading Sherman Alexie's War Dances, another collection of short stories, and listened to another section of Stephen King's 11/22./63, on a Playaway recorded book.


There is a difference between loneliness and being alone. With Gary still camping, I am alone in the house except for Rascal, and since he sleeps a deep feline sleep most of the day, it is quiet.  I don't mind at all.
Since I came home, I've been reading, writing, gardening, cleaning, doing this and that, with no pressures.  

I was going to turn around and go back to meet Gary at the campground in a day or two but now I am thinking I will stay put for a while.  Ah, solitude.  



No comments:

Post a Comment