Saturday, March 3, 2012

Busy Saturday


Finally, in March, we've had the first real snowstorm of the 2011-12 winter season. This is the view from my office window. A storm like this in January or February would send me right into a depression, but this is March, the month of possibilities.

Today, Chris, Tisha and Evan came over to take me out to lunch and to bring me a notebook computer to replace the last one that crashed two weeks ago.

Evan was thinking about his latest computer game, but came alive later when we pulled out my electronic keyboard.  Evan, at six years old, has exceptionally long fingers and a sweet little voice that is right on pitch.  I wanted to see what he would do with the keys.

Most children when given a keyboard pound on it, making a racket, but my grandson went right to work figuring out songs.  Within minutes he knew about octaves.  We played with all the sound variations we could make, things like flute, cathedral organ, and so on.  He was looking for the sound of the bar in the fourth in the Star Wars series (the first film) and with the help of his Daddy found it.  I was thrilled to see him at the keyboard and hope that he does something with his talent.

Next he and I played a geography game on his mother's I-Phone.  Between us we managed to figure out the states,their capitals, and information about them.

It all ended far too soon.

Tonight, Gary and I are about to leave to listen to my favorite folksinger, Bill Staines, at the Mosquito Hill Nature Center in New London.  Seeing Bill is my yearly birthday present.

Still to come in the next week is a  gathering with friends to talk about books and politics,a visit from my friend from Chicago, the weekly critique group, and a visit with Evan's first grade class. I think I take my autoharp and sing some songs with them.

By then the forecast is for 50 degree days, St. Patrick's Day on the 17th, and in only 2-1/2 weeks, the spring equinox.

So let the snow come, March is a busy, happy month.

******
"Cigarette Man Saves the Day", Wade Peterson's latest short story, is now at http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com   our shared Black Coffee Fiction blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment