Friday, March 2, 2012

Planning or Lack Thereof

When I plan a tour, I make sure I have an itinerary laid out with all my performances:  name of the venue, contact person, address, phone number, e-mail address along with date and time.  Then I set the itinerary aside until about a month before I leave.  At that point, I collect maps and figure out some places to stay.

But then I know that all bets are off.  Oh, I'll make my performances, but who knows what roads I'll go down or where I'll pitch my tent.  This past summer, on my six week Western tour, I only stayed two times at campgrounds I had set out on paper.  Floods wiped out campgrounds, roads were closed, rain storms or extreme heat sent me to motels.  The unexpected is expected when I travel.

Now I will be going on tour around Lake Superior through Minnesota, Ontario, and Upper Michigan in July.  I am working on finding work at libraries and nursing homes. Where I go depends on the work I find.

Gary is going with me and that makes for a different trip. Gary likes to plan everything to the nth degree.  With the trip four and a half months off, he is already printing out maps, checking out campgrounds, figuring out distances, worrying about the price of gas.  Going up the stairs, I can see the trip taking shape with printouts he's hanging on the walls.

He is taking over the logistics. He is finding provincial and state parks.  He is looking for lighthouses to visit.  He already has the mileage figured out.  He will pack a big walk in tent and more equipment than I care to think about.  While I am performing, he'll be setting up camp or taking down.

When I travel, I make oatmeal for breakfast and soup for supper and eat out at noon.  It's that simple.  Gary will plan out much more elaborate meals.

The Circle Tour will be an entirely different trip with fewer surprises, but I'm sure we'll have fun anyhow.

I wonder if he will remember to pack his passport.  I'd better remind him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment