Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Present Tense

Yesterday was walking in warmer weather, listening to music on my MP3 player, feeling fine.Today was another matter.

Last night, we were hit with a snowstorm.  Only an inch or two of snow, but that was followed by an ice storm that made any walking impossible and driving not so good either. Gary and I were stuck inside.

We try to make the best of things.  Gary worked on projects.  I baked bread.

I've been reading a book downloaded onto my Nook from the library system: Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. The book was entirely written in the present tense, which is unusual, but it only marginally held my interest so it was slow going.

Usually, I finish the library downloads before the due date and delete them, but I noticed yesterday that Night Circus was going to be due today.  When I woke up in the middle of the night, as I often do, I read for an hour.  I still had over a hundred pages to go this morning but the computer system informed me I still had six hours before the book would be removed from my system.  I decided to finish it and did, but I still  kept an eye on the Adobe Digital screen to watch the hours and then the minutes count down.  It was like watching the odometer on a car turning to 100,000 miles.  I wanted to see exactly what happened.

Sure enough, at 1:00 p.m. the word "expired" showed up.  The Nook, with its wireless system, also told me the book was no longer available for reading. Technology is fascinating.

I switched to the next library e-book, which was about dogs.  I figured it would be something light and possibly uplifting to keep my spirits up.  It was The Lost Dogs. But when I opened the book, I found the subtitle, "Michael Vick's Dogs."  Vick was the professional football player whose off season hobby was pit bull fights, nasty and illegal.   So much for that book.  Deleted.

I took a nap and then it was time for our Wednesday night session in the gym.  We drove over and found out that both the aquatic and fitness centers were closed because of the snow.

So we came back to an evening of really bad TV. I'm now working on a P.D. Wodehouse collection of Jeeve's stories.

So here I am after a day that had only one satisfactory thing going for it:  it's the end of February.  March starts tomorrow with many adventures and warmer weather on the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment