Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dealing with SAD

I don't know if I mention often enough that I love Gary, but I should.


After my SAD episode on Thursday, I took a nap.  When I came downstairs, Gary had cleaned everywhere then lit a dozen candles and had soft music playing.


He knows that one of my favorite dealing with winter songs is Buffy Sainte-Marie's "Still This Love Goes On". She sings of winter and dreaming of pow-wows.

"In every dream I can smell the Sweetgrass burning
And in my heart I can hear the drum
and hear the singers soaring
and see the jingle dancers
and Still this love goes on and on
Still this love goes on."

It takes me back to the Oneida pow-pow on the 4th of July weekend, the drummers, singers, and dancers, eating fry bread and of course, the July heat.  It warms me up just thinking about it.  

So this morning, Gary burned some of the braided sweet grass I bought last year for a Christmas present. 

Though he can't totally pull me out of a winter depression, it is lovely to know he is trying. 

The choir sang early in the service today so I took off to my own spiritual base, Nature.  I drove to the Bubolz Nature Center to hike a little.  It was muddy, so I couldn't get too far, but at the pond, a white throated sparrow was singing the sweetest song.  I whistled back at him for a while and felt spring surging in my soul, if only for a while.  Bless him. Bless Gary.  




No comments:

Post a Comment