Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Writing News

Today I reached the half way point in the third draft on my novel, "Going Down from Gairloch".  I was going to cut a character out but decided I liked her so expanded her role in Chapter 8.  I think she will appear again later in the book.

I've pointed out to many younger writers how easy they have it compared to when I started.  When I wrote my first novel the first four drafts were written on a typewriter, which meant that every page, every paragraph, every word had to be done over and over.  The advent of the computer meant ease of editing with spell checks and cutting and pasting.  In the past, we used to cut typed pages into paragraphs, move them around and then re-type the whole thing.  

It's been a busy writing week.  Besides the novel, I write this blog every night and that means coming up with fresh subjects.

I must have the third part of "Island Fever" edited and posted by Friday afternoon at Black Coffee Fiction
http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com

At the same time, I am trying to finish an assignment for the technical college fiction class by Saturday morning.  I have three stories started and still have no idea which one to work on.

On Facebook, I continue to chronicle the strange state of politics in the State of Wisconsin.  I have readers there, too. Which will come first, the recall election or the indictment for election fraud?  Either way, it looks more and more like this governor will never make it through his second year.  I research and write, research and write.

What I have learned in a lifetime of writing is that the more I have to do, the easier it is to get at the work.   

No comments:

Post a Comment