Monday, February 20, 2012

Gary's Turn

Last June, I went through a series of physical exams, ending with a colonoscopy.  Gary found "C-Day" interesting and amusing, especially the preparation day which required many, many rapid trips to the bathroom.  (Whoops! Out of my way!)  But he took me to the exam and made sure to take care of me after.

Now it's his turn.  I helped today by shopping for necessities with him, making Jell-o and boullion, and leaving for the afternoon so he would have the toilet all to himself.  Tonight, he is as ready as he will ever be...except for the phone call from his niece while he was in the bathroom.  She called to make sport of him, but Gary is a tough dude to embarrass.   I don't think I've ever seen him blush.

My alarm is set.  I will drive him to the exam tomorrow, wait around, hold his hand, and take his groggy self home afterwards.  I may even admire the after colonoscopy photos, just as he admired mine last June. It is so nice to have someone to share these moments with.

The critique group suggested I write a short story about our experience entitled, "Love and the Colonoscopy" so I am taking notes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment