Sunday, February 19, 2012

Signs of Spring

This morning I woke up to find that one of the daffodil bulbs I started forcing the first week in January was blooming.

February is usually a gray month but this is not the usual February. We've had unusually warm weather.  In other years, there was less sun streaming through my windows.  Then, bulbs planted the first week in January would not bloom until the very end of February.

This afternoon, I saw more effects of the early spring weather.  Behind the Muehl Public Library there's a bed of flowers carefully tended by one of the librarians with the help of a city worker.  There, I found snowdrops ready to pop into bloom. By tomorrow, they will be open.  My records tell me that they bloomed last year on March 20.

On my way home, I heard the male cardinals singing their mating calls.  I think I caught sight of a robin, too, though that could be one of the birds that winter over.

At home, I checked the beds and found crocus shoots all over the yard.

The final sign of spring was not so pleasant.  On our way across the yard, Gary and I each stepped into dog poo.   Still, that's a sure sign.  There will be a blizzard or two but spring is on its way.   

No comments:

Post a Comment