Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Necessary Changes

Early this morning, I delivered Gary to his colonoscopy.  My job was to wait around until he was done, about an hour, then drive him home.  During that time in the waiting room, I was reading a Neil Gaiman novel on my Nook when  woman sat down next to me and began chatting about e-readers. I am finding that holding a Nook is like walking a dog.  It's a conversation opener.  She told me her husband had their Kindle on a business trip.  He left with the books she had been reading.

We went onto other topics. We are both liberals in a conservative area.  She, too, signed the recall for the governor.  (Yes, I know that "governor" should be capitalized but I am waiting until we have one I can respect.)

We expressed our outrage at all the male politicians who seem to know what is best for females when it comes to the workplace, contraceptives and general health issues.

In other words, while Gary's innards were being explored, I was enjoying myself when I suppose I should have been wringing my hands and obsessing about his well-being.  I am not good about that worrying thing though so I went right on making a friend.  He managed to survive.

With today's colonoscopy, Gary has finished his yearly physical.  The doctors found some things of concern so he needs to mend his ways.  He must give up his love of cheese and sausage and eat more sensibly. He must exercise more.

I found my copy of Andrew Weil's  8 Weeks to Optimum Health, which I first read in 1997.   I plan on working him into good eating habits over eight weeks, just as I learned better habits back then. This week we will add more vegetables, including broccoli, and eat fish twice.  The only cheese we'll use is Parmesan, just for flavoring. We will walk every day, even if it is only ten minutes in any given day. Dr. Weil feels we should bring flowers into the house, but I've already taken care of that as the forced daffodils are beginning to bloom.

The end of the eight weeks will bring us to April and spring.  I want us to be ready to leap into our summer activities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment