Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Luau

The Seymour Aquatic Center lifeguards have been concerned lately that pool attendance is way down. I confess I like having the pool and the rest of the facilities to myself, but I understand that if attendance doesn't pick up, the school district could cut the hours way back.

Fighting for their jobs, today the lifeguards threw a party, a luau with food and free pool time for anyone that wanted to come.  It was a huge success.  Free food is always a draw and the kids tore into the pool.  At one time, the small pool had 80 children in it.

Times were set aside for lessons, games, and workouts.  I signed up for joint management, led by an instructor from Bellin Hospital.  There is an ongoing arthritis class led by the Good Shepherd Home, but that would cost me $10 a week, and I am too cheap to do that!  Instead, I go to the aquatic center and do exercises I observed the GS classes doing.  The free workshop today gave me some great stretching moves.  Kayle's mother came and we compared notes about her.  Kayle sat on the lifeguard's chair and tried to ignore us.

I ate booyah Tony and David made and kidded them that it should have had poi in it, though they didn't know what poi was.

I went back to the ice cream table twice, but I followed it with some time in the fitness center on the recumbent bicycle. It would have all evened out but then Gary and I went back for our supper and more desserts.

I talked to the head of the sports facility who said the event had been so successful it would be a yearly event.  The fitness center director said next time roast pig could be on the menu, much more in line with a luau menu.

Once a year is enough.  I dread looking at the scale tomorrow morning.





 

1 comment: