Sunday, January 8, 2012

Another Time, Another Place

Tonight,  Gary and I are watching "Downton Abbey" on public television, the first episode of the second season.

Gary introduced me to Downton Abbey on Netflix in the fall, and I am afraid I am hooked. I am lost in a great estate in England with ladies in fabulous clothes, gentlemen with manners, and plenty of maids and footmen to take care of their every need though in Season 2, World War I is bringing about changes. There are fewer servants and standards are being lowered.  We wonder if Mr. Bates and Anna will ever find happiness. Or will Mathew Crowley and Lady Mary ever admit they love each other?  

Meanwhile, I am reading Pride and Prejudice on my little Nook.  Elizabeth Bennett, Mr. Darcy, and all the rest have their conversations on an electronic device, and it is all the same as it was in paper. Wicked Mr. Wickham and silly Lydia are still the same.  Mrs. Bennett is foolish and Mr. Bennett sees the humor in it all.

And here we are in Wisconsin in our little house with dishes waiting in the kitchen and post-Christmas cleaning to be done.  There is work to do in my office and Gary has to get at things in the basement.  It is a long way from England.

Pure escapism, we know, but it is what long winter nights require.  

No comments:

Post a Comment