Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Hooky

I had a list of eighteen things I wanted to accomplish today, but instead Gary and I played hooky.

It was a record breaking day here in Seymour. The temperature climbed and climbed until it reached 50 degrees F ( 10 C), unheard of in central Wisconsin. We threw out all our plans and headed outdoors.

Gary had an errand in Appleton.  We took a country road, one I hadn't been down before.  It looked much the same as any country road until we passed a house set within woods. At the entrance to the driveway stood a large brightly colored statue of Ganesh, the elephant god  of success.  I knew at once what it was because years ago when I traveled to New York City, I bought a small statue for Gary, who had always wanted one.  Gary has had his Ganesh on his desk for years, though it hasn't led to any great success, though I tell him he's been successful with me.

We took another look at the property and saw more of the painted statuary, hidden behind the shrubbery that lines the road.  We assume Hindus live there.  How I would like to go talk to these people!

Maybe another day.  Today was our spring day and we intended to enjoy it.  We walked all over town wallowing in sunshine. There is no other luxury I crave as much as warm sunlight.  

I am left with that long list of things to accomplish, but tomorrow is another day, a day when we can expect six to eight inches of snow followed by days of real January temperatures.  Time enough to sit in front of the computer and do my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment