Thursday, January 12, 2012

Winter Gardening

Winter is long in Wisconsin so while I'm waiting for spring, I make sure there is green in the house.  It helps me hang on through February and March.

Every Christmas, the Seymour United Methodist Church is decorated with donated poinsettias.  After New Year's the decorations come down and the donors are supposed to pick up their plants.  Most of them don't so the plants are free to anyone that wants one or two.  Some years, I've had as many as five.  This year I got this one. 


If I tend the plant carefully, it will bloom into spring.  One year, I managed to keep a poinsettia going until the fall frost.   

This past fall, I bought daffodil bulbs at an end of the season sale, as I do every year.  The bulbs went into the refrigerator.  Today, I pulled them out and put half of them in two pots filled with dirt and bone meal.  In less than three weeks, there will be sprouts and by mid-March I'll have daffodils.  I'll start two more pots later this month so the daffodils will last until those in the back yard make their appearance. 

By that time, Gary and I will start some annual flowers and vegetables from seed in trays. 

As of today, there are 69 days until spring and the yards are covered with snow, but I can still water plants, dig in the dirt, and keep spring in my heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment