Saturday, December 24, 2011

Busy Yule

I got up early, cooked all morning.  By 11:00 a.m. my guests started to arrive, and I cooked on while they communed in the living room.  The scalloped potatoes were late because Gary told me I should put in 40 potatoes instead of 30.  (He was right.)  I cooked on.  To keep grandson Evan occupied, he and I decorated the sugar cookies while I kept an eye on the stove.  That done, I threw the broccoli into the microwave, the buns into the oven to warm.  I covered the scalloped potatoes with shredded cheddar cheese.  And then the cooking was over.  I dropped exhausted and ate.

Chris meanwhile was working on a computer that Gary arranged for his sister Kathe.  Her computer is ancient so she will like that.

Social time, chit chat and then Gary's family left.

Evan opened his twelve presents.  Tisha and Chris brought me a calendar filled with pictures of Evan and bags and boxes of toilet paper and paper towels.  They work at Kimberly Clark and bid on lots of paper products.  We now have enough for 2012.

Then it was off to the cemetery with Chris, Tisha and Evan to place a candle on my parents' graves.  Evan came along to see the tombstones and was disappointed that he didn't get to see any bones.  We didn't go into any details about cremation.

Next was the 4:00 pm Christmas service. Evan went up to the children's sermon with the rest of the children.  When the pastor asked any question about the nativity, Evan's hand shot up.  He knew all the answers.  He doesn't attend church, but his mother has read him all the Bible stories, so he has a pretty good idea what religion is about.

Next there was the birthday party for Jesus with cake for all.

When I got back home, Gary had cleaned up, doing all the dishes.  Love that man!

In a few minutes, I am off to the church again to rehearse the choir for the 7:00 pm service.

When I get back, around 8:30 pm, I am heading straight for bed.

Tomorrow, nothing much is going on, to our relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment