Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Nook

We change with the technology.  As my friend Norma points out, learning new technology is a way to improve our synapses.  The same age as me, she is learning a whole new computer system at her work.  It takes us a bit longer, but we are adapting.

I've been reading Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, which came with the first Nook e-book order from Barnes and Noble.  The last time I read Little Women , I was in grade school.  I had forgotten all the moral lessons Marmee preached at her daughters. Did I find them as annoying back then? I know I much preferred Jo, the tomboy, who is so much like me.

I find that a Nook is no different than a paper book.  Both are delivery systems for words, nothing more.  I am enjoying the system of turning pages and when my eyes are tired, it is simplicity itself to make the font bigger

I remember books similar to Nooks from "Star Trek, the Next Generation".  (It was Captain Jean-Luc Picard who was considered odd because he had some very old fashioned paper books.)  Now I am  there with the rest of the crew of the Enterprise.

I still haven't figured out the library connections for the Nook, or how to access the Gutenberg Project but I'll get there. The Nook holds 1400 books, according to Chris, which should prove to be enough books to last me the rest of my life.

In January, I start putting together a collection of my columns which will be available through Barnes and Noble so the Nook is essential as I explore the ways and means of doing so.   I've already done a book for the Kindle through Amazon.com, but the Barnes and Noble system seems easier in every way.

I can feel those brain cells expanding.  Either that or I'm getting a headache.



.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment