Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Solstice

Tomorrow is Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year.  

These dark days are so difficult for me.  I try to get the most out of the existing sunlight by waking up early in the morning.  I take long walks whenever there is sunlight, as there was today.  I have a light board here in my office. I take St. John's wort from mid-November through February.  Still, seasonal affective disorder will eventually hit me and depression set in.  I'll convince myself I have no friends and have some deadly disease.

Gary understands my affliction and thinks of ways to help.  One way has been to decorate this house from top to bottom during the holiday season.  The lights, both electric and candle powered, shine on until New Year's Day.  The house is glowing tonight plus I look out  my office window to the neighborhood light displays.  

Exercise helps.  We go to the fitness center to work through the machines.   I swim.  

Finally, we go out and look at nature, such as it is in this cold northern climate.  With fine weather forecast tomorrow, we will spend Solstice driving up to the Oconto breakwater to see what kind of birds we can spot off Lake Michigan.  There are reports of Harlequin ducks and snowy owls over there so we will take a look. If there is sun, it will sparkle off the lake.  Sunshine doubled is just what I need.   

From tomorrow on, the days will get longer.  Somehow I will make it to spring.    

No comments:

Post a Comment