Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Solstice Birding Day

I don't have sleepless nights often, but sure enough, last night I had a bout of insomnia. By 12:30 a.m. I was wide awake and by 4:00 I gave up the struggle and came downstairs.  I fortified myself with black tea and started the day.  I would be tired, but there was no way I was going to give up a trip to look for snowy owls.

The Oconto Breakwater is run by the Oconto County park system.  It is a narrow band that stretches along Green Bay on Lake Michigan.  At this time of year it is popular with ice fishermen, who had their little tents set up inside the frozen water inside the barrier. They didn't seem to bother the birds because we were treated to a pot pourri of  avian life.  There were at least a hundred common mergansers out on the open water along with scaup, herring gulls, Canada geese and tundra swans.

On the breakwater rocks we spotted two snowy owls, our main interest.  Every so often, hundreds of these owls descend on Wisconsin.  It seems to have something to do with the lack of prey in the frozen Arctic tundra.  When they arrive, they are often near starvation.  These two, however, seemed perfectly healthy and much whiter than the photo shown here.


File:Snowy Owl - Schnee-Eule.jpg
(Photos from Wikipedia)

On our way to the end of the breakwater, we spotted a Northern shrike, another visitor from the tundra. This little guy has the nasty habit of impaling his prey on barbed wire fences or any other spike it can find.  It is only the second I've seen in my life.
Northern Shrike Photo

As we were leaving, yet another treat, a couple of bald eagles, their white heads shining in the sun.

When the snowy owls show up in this part of Wisconsin, there is a good chance that the largest owl, the Great Grey, will be hanging around northern Wisconsin. We may take a winter's drive to see if we can find them.

From this point on, the sun will stay longer and longer in the sky.  By the end of March the tundra swans will return and birding will be in full swing.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Colleen. When I was up there looking for snowies I also saw a little bird I couldn't identify -- I think the shrike might be it.

    ReplyDelete