Sunday, September 25, 2011

Another Packer Day

Chris, Tisha, Evan and I had plans this afternoon, to pick apples at a nearby orchard. Mother Nature made other plans and organized a bath for northeast Wisconsin.  With rain pelting us, we went out to eat, waited for the rain to stop, waited some more, waited some more, and gave up.  Maybe next week. They went home.

This left me with the rest of the afternoon with no place to go and only football on television. This created a problem.

Years ago, my mother noticed that whenever I watch the Packers play football, they lost.  It couldn't be fumbled plays, bad weather or really good opponents.  No, the losses were all my fault.  She sent me out of the house whenever the scores went south.

This was no problem for me, you understand.  I don't like football and watching any sport on television has always seemed silly to me. I happily went off on my own pursuits.  

Then Gary moved in with me and transported Illinoisan though he was, he soon had Packer fever.  When he found out what my mother said decades ago, he, too, decreed that I should stay away from the living room on Packer days.  Again no problem, I could go hiking, swimming or shopping.

But today, with so much rain Noah would have been working on an ark, I was stuck at home. With the Packers playing the Bears and Gary having a bet with Brad in Illinois, there was no other option.  I retreated to my bed for a three hour nap.

It worked.  The Packers won, Gary is happy, and Brad owes us two nights of camp fees at Laura Lake.

Me, I am well rested.  

No comments:

Post a Comment