Saturday, October 1, 2011

Warm Bed on a Cold Night

Yesterday Gary set to work to winterize the camper.  We have a hard sided camper with pop-out ends that serve as bedrooms.  These are great places to sleep in the summer when the windows provide air flow from three sides. In cold weather they aren't as nice.  Condensation on the top can drop down on the sleeper. A strong wind blows through the sides and up from the bottom.

Though it wasn't that cold the night before, the strong gusts caused a wind chill.  Our quilts kept us warm enough but not warm enough for the freezing temperatures that were to come.

Gary's solution was Refectix insulation, meant to wrap around water heaters and ducts. It's two layers of aluminum separated by air space.  He lined the top of each room with the foil then covered them with another layer of protective plastic. Next he lined the walls, covering up the windows.  Finally, he ran a lawyer of insulation under each mattress.

To finish off, Gary provided me with a hot water bottle for my toes. It stayed warm at my feet all night. I slept  solidly, toasty warm.

Next morning, it was not easy getting out of my bed.  It was 37 degrees inside the trailer, 32 degrees out. I clicked on the heater, made us tea and went out to look at the lake one more time before I left for Seymour. I'll be back on Monday, knowing I'll sleep safe and warm, thanks to Gary.

No comments:

Post a Comment