Tuesday, September 27, 2011

More Cooking

On Sunday, we couldn't pick apples because of the heavy rain, but after church, Lavern, a choir member, called me over to the back of his truck and showed me boxes of apples and pears.  His wife Chrissy had been making pies and applesauce for days and there was still so much more fruit on the trees.  Would I like some?  The day before, my neighbor Elaine showed me some apples that came from a friend of hers.  Would I like some?

Yes, I would, I said to both and ever since have been dealing with it all by baking and dehydrating.  Today was the same.  I made muffins, sweet bread and tonight I am dehydrating more pears to make pear chips.  Tomorrow morning, it's zucchini bread from my garden stash.

Meanwhile, Chris, Tisha and Evan and I are still planning an apple picking outing, so there will be more cooking in my future.

Tomorrow it's off to the north woods and another campground, this time Laura Lake.  We're meeting friends from Illinois, the Battens.  Today, I stopped at the farmers' market here in Seymour and found a vendor selling maple syrup, which was made from maple sap gathered in the Dunbar area, just a short distance from Laura Lake. I'm taking it back to its home so I can treat the Battens to maple syrup over pancakes, a great early morning treat.

Only two more weeks before the National Forest Service closes its campgrounds.  That means two more weeks until winter to me.Winter is when we can't camp.  Is it any wonder I am squirreling away food in freezer and cupboards?

No comments:

Post a Comment