Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cold Day Cooking

When the weather turns nasty, my thoughts go to the kitchen.  When I got up before the automatic thermostat upped the temperature in the house, I started to think of what I could cook.

I began with the apples my neighbor Elaine gave me yesterday.  I'll be picking more tomorrow with Evan and Those People He Lives With, but this was a good time to start.  Using the corer/slicer we got at a rummage sale last year, I quickly filled the trays of the dehydrator and turned it on.  It takes twelve hours to make dried apple chips, one of our favorite snacks, so I let it run all day and started a new batch tonight.

Then I checked the refrigerator, freezer and cupboards and found I had everything to make Kansas City steak soup, my all time favorite.  The ingredients went into the crock pot and that was left to work its magic, too. Tonight, individual servings are in our freezer.

On a whim, I made double chocolate brownies with walnuts, thinking I would freeze them, and I would have but every time Gary wanders through the kitchen, another one disappears.

For supper we had tuna casserole, made with my special white sauce, lots of tuna, peas and noodles. It isn't in my recipe description, but Gary claims it isn't real tuna casserole without being topped with potato chips and that required a separate trip to the grocery store.

I was going to finish the day with banana bread, but that will have to wait for another day when I am not tuckered out.  

See, I can be domestic!  Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment