Monday, September 26, 2011

Looking for Stories

Wade and I met at the Copper Rock North in Appleton this afternoon.  The Copper Rock North is the coffee shop where our critique group has met for several years.  I keep telling the kids that work there that we'll be famous someday so they should get our autographs.  So far there have been no takers.

Wade and I are still tweaking our new short story blog, Black Coffee fiction, and thinking of ways to spread the word. I made up some business cards to pass around and gave some to the workers behind the counter at the Copper Rock.

By now, we've had plenty of readers, some from as far away as New Zealand and Russia. We wish they would leave comments so we would know what they think of our work.

Still, we know we are being read. Tomorrow, I'll design some bookmarks to leave at libraries.  I'll contact libraries all over northeast Wisconsin to see about talking to groups and answer questions on line.

I've done publicity work for years. There will be media kits to prepare and suggested questions for teachers' use. In time, we would like to publish a collection of our best stories.

Today we talked about what we want on the blog.. I have quite a few stories, though most of them require editing.  Some of them are a series of seriously depressing Christmas stories that I eventually want to put into a book. Wade's has been working on novels for the most part, so he has to work harder than I do at getting stories ready for our blog.  We both like the idea of giving ourselves deadlines.  This blog is forcing us to write!

Check us out at http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com and let us know what you think.

2 comments: