Sunday, March 27, 2011

Easter Planning

The Seymour United Methodist Church's chancel choir is very adaptable.  Last week, I couldn't direct the choir because I was driving Caim to their next destination.  No rehearsal for two weeks, and to add to the confusion, the bell choir was playing today, and four of my singers play bells in that as well.  Their rehearsal began at the same time.

So instead of trying to practice, the remaining members and I chatted about our upcoming commitments and worked out all our music through Easter.  We have favorites that luckily are favorites of the congregation so that was easy figuring. We sing "Triumphal Entry" almost every Palm Sunday and no one objects.  Tradition makes our job easier.

When the bell choir finished, my choir had ten minutes to work out the anthem for this morning's service, "Stand in Awe", a suitable piece for Lent.  With the bell choir playing the introit and the offertory, we only had to add a brief benediction, the "Threefold Amen" and we were set.

At that point the Sunday School classes joined us to practice a joint effort, "Are You Washed in the Blood?"  You would think this would gross out our munchkins, but it is a fast paced shape-note song, and they love it.  I'll play the autoharp for the piece and I may even talk a guitarist to help out.  Deb Marsh, our organist, will do the piano.  That takes care of April 10.  Next week, we'll have two anthems, the usual one and a communion song plus an introit and benediction, but we'll have a longer practice.

Even with the morning's confusion, the service went well.  I got to play piano for the hymns with Deb on the organ.  We love doing that.

Sundays mean music, one of the joys of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment