Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Return of the Snowdrops

About ten days ago the snowdrops were blooming in my yard, then the blizzard came, dumping 17.2 inches in northeast Wisconsin, covering the flowers.  I worried about the little guys and wondered if they had died.  Perhaps they had bloomed too early this year.

This morning the drift at the base of the old cottonwood melted.  There, poking through the snow were my little friends.   I remembered Gordon Bok's "Turning Toward the Morning".


It's a pity we don't know
What the little flowers know.
They can't face the cold November
They can't take the wind and snow:
They put their glories all behind them,
Bow their heads and let it go,
But you know they'll be there shining
In the morning.

Oh, my Joanie, don't you know
That the stars are swinging slow,
And the seas are rolling easy
As they did so long ago?
If I had a thing to give you,
I would tell you one more time
That the world is always turning
Toward the morning.


I've been singing that all day. Funny how a song sticks in your brain. 


The flowers are back, as they have been every year in the 27 years I've lived here and will be blooming each spring long after I am gone. There's eternity for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment