Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Day performance

Today, I performed at the Birch Hill Care Center in Shawano.  Because it was April Fool's Day the activity director asked me to be funny.

I have some funny stories, of course, but many of them are aimed at children.  So I decided to give the residents a mixed bag.  I told two children's stories, a Gullah story about a buzzard and a Jamaican story about a race between Toad and Donkey.  I told a story based on a Jewish folktale about a piece of white satin that did service through the long life of an old woman, plus a Norwegian Ole and Lena story.  I sang silly songs about cows, love and flowers.

It went well, with laughter.  Wonder of wonder, no one went to sleep.  That happens all the time in nursing homes.  I take no offense.

I am a regular at Birch Hill, and the residents were concerned about my upcoming trip.  "Watch out for bears." "You aren't driving yourself!"  "Isn't someone going with you?"   "Visit my niece."  "Be sure you come back and tell us about it."

I promised them a photo show and more stories the next time I see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment