Monday, March 28, 2011

The Port-a-let

One of the problems I have when doing a tour while camping is finding a place to change from a grungy camperette to a fresh clean storyteller.  Washing up and putting on a dress in a small tent is no easy thing.

Today, Gary and I picked up a cabana, or port-a-let, shaped like an obelisk.I could use it as a shower, a toilet, or a changing room.   It seemed to be similar to one he has with his camping gear, but it was supposed to be easier to put up.  It didn't work out that way.  We set it up in the living room and found it took at least two people to construct it.  There were too many bits and pieces. Taking it down was just as time consuming, and I would have to kneel to finish the job.  What shape would my performance dresses be in while I managed that?

So we went back to his storage unit to pick up his cabana and set it up next to the other one in the living room.  His is easy to set up, it pops right into place. The problem is folding it back down into its holder.  So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.   It keeps flopping open again.  Think about a six foot structure opening in the back of my car as I drive through the Rockies.  That's the stuff of sitcoms.

I'll keep trying to work out the problem by watching demonstration videos on the internet and setting up and taking down his cabana over and over until I get it right.

That however, will have to wait until spring when I can do the job outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment