Friday, January 7, 2011

Twelfth Night Surprise.

On Christmas Eve, I went to the Lutheran cemetery and placed a candle at my parents' grave as I do every year. For years, I took a real wax candle, but the type I used isn't made any more and no other would stay lit in the winter winds. Finally, I began taking an LED battery-operated candle  and retrieving it a day or two after Christmas.

This year, with snow and cold weather, we didn't get back right away.  I figured the battery would have long worn out so there was no rush.  Today, however, is my mother's birthday so we thought we should pay a visit to her grave and at the same time, pick up the candle.

There, in the snow, the candle still flickered.  It had been burning throughout the period known as Epiphany.
LED lights last a long time, I know that, but this amazed me.  I think we will leave the candle for the full twelve days of Christmas from now on in her memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment