Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Autoharp Case

Gary gave me a brand new autoharp case for Christmas.  This is good because the old case was falling apart, held together with two bungee cords. I was beginning to worry about damage to the autoharp.  My first harp was demolished when a teacher grabbed it with an offer to carry it.  It slid to a linoleum floor with a crash.  My second harp was also dropped to its detriment, needing repairs. A new case will give me a sense of security as I travel this summer.

Getting a new case is also bad.  The old case was plastered with stickers from around the world and they couldn't be transfered to the new one. I liked to show the case  to the children during my performances and let them guess at places like Yarrambat.  (It's in Australia.)

The good news is that now I have to fill the new case and that requires more travels around the world.  

Gary started me off with a Rails to Trails Conservancy sticker.  This is appropriate because I like to walk on those trails whenever I am near one.  In addition, I've worked on the local trail planting trees in a program we called the Seymour Greenway.  Over two years, we planted 48 large trees, from conifers to deciduous trees in the two miles of the Newton Blackmour State Nature Trail.  The entire trail will eventually go from Green Bay to New London, mostly through farm land.  In the Seymour section, hikers will find a shady grove and benches.  I'm proud of our work, so it is appropriate that the first case sticker reflects that.  

I wonder what stickers I will during the summer reading program tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment