Thursday, February 6, 2014

It's finally happening

After I had  mypre-operation physical today, the decision was made.   That tumor comes out  on Monday.  So now a few last minute decisions.  If nothing else, I have to pack a bag for the hospital stay.

By the way, other than that pesky tumor, I am very healthy.


It is likely his operation will extend my life by a few years, but what to do with them?

I have been thinking lately of authors who had health problems yet went on to write.

Tonight I think about Ulyssess S. Grant, Civil War general and President  of the United States.

At the end of his life, he suffered fom cancer of the throat, probably caused  by the cigars he smoked most of his life.  he knw he was ill and worrried bout his family who would be left penniless.  It was Mark Twain who came to his rescue  with a publishing venture.  Grant would write his memoirs and  Twain would publish them.
Grant sat down with paper, pen and ink and began to write.  Month after month and even year after year, the old man wrote down his expeiences in the Civil  War.  He wound up with  a best selling book   that took care of his family.   But more important, his book is still onsidered one of the best military histories ever written.

So I figure on going on with my own writing.  it is not the money for me, it is telling the stories.   I have no idea how many months or years are in my future but they will be used writing.

Once we get past next Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment