Monday, January 6, 2014

Still Out for the Count

Yesterday was a non-day for me.  I am still ill and probably will be for the foreseeable future.

Today, I tried to call a doctor.  I was told to call back later.  I did and was told the nurse practitioner would call me back later in the day.  She did not.  I called again around 4:00 pm and finally reached her.  I described my symptoms and she said it sounded like a viral infection that is going around.

I could come in tomorrow, but I asked her what is being prescribed.  Bed rest and Tylenol, she said.  That is what I have been doing for a week, so I have decided there is no point in seeing the doctor.  So I stay at home and doctor myself. My own feeling is that I won't be better until spring no matter what I do.

Just after I talked to the nurse practitioner, I had a call from the the courthouse in Appleton from the Clerk of the Circuit Court to see if I could come in for jury duty on Wednesday.  I explained my condition and was excused.  I was also excused for the 13th of the month which is when I was originally scheduled.  Apparently the same infection is decimating the jury pool.

Gary and I were going to Illinois tomorrow.  I don't see much difference between sitting in this house or sitting in the farmhouse in Illinois so we shall see.

What I have been thinking about is the time I was sick in China.  The hotel manager managed to get a doctor to my hotel room in ten minutes carrying medication.  No charge.

I wonder if people in this country will ever fully realize that we don't have good health care here.

So it's back to bed and Tylenol.   I keep thinking that I have a passport.  Maybe the cure is to go up to Canada for proper treatment.



No comments:

Post a Comment