Friday, January 10, 2014

Writing and Bad Times

A few days ago Wade and I were talking about jury duty. There are three days I could be on a jury this month.  I'll never know until the night before.  I am curious about it.  I don't see any "Twelve Angry Men" dramas but still would like the experience.

Wade said from all he's heard, it would be very boring.  That doesn't mean I won't get anything out of it, I told him. I told Wade that even boring events still have something to offer writers.

Years ago, I worked as n extra in a movie being filmed in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.  Mostly, I found, being an extra is  a matter of waiting until you are needed.  I met lot of people, heard their stories.  I met some movie stars and mostly found them uninteresting.  I had more fun talking to the technicians finding out about their work.  I had the forethought to bring along some board games and go to talk to many of the extras that way.

Even in this current state of influenza offers me something.  I am writing a short story that I should be able to publish by tomorrow.  It centers around influenza.  Believe it or not, it will be humorous.

But even if I were writing a dramatic story, I would find a use for this experience.  Flu epidemics are important issues.  Anyone who watches Downton Abbey will remember the horror of the Crawley family facing one.  When I taught a class for senior citizens in Shawano I heard how the Spanish flu affected their lives, killing parents and siblings.

So I keep taking note of my symptoms.  I will make use of them.  But not right away.  My head is filled with wool at present.

Meanwhile, we progress to spring, only 68 days until spring.  Today we made another big step. We got our application to be sturgeon guards starting in April.   No matter what the weather, the big sturgeon females are swimming under the ice waiting to progress up the Wolf Rive to their spawning spots.








No comments:

Post a Comment