Thursday, January 9, 2014

Hanging in There

Gary left for Dixon this morning and some of my friends wondered how he could leave me feeling so ill but I couldn't see much point in him staying.  My medical advisers say I have a viral infection but the only thing to do is wait it out.  This morning I had swollen glands.  The nurse practitioner who has been getting these cases since the end of 2013 said the swollen glands come toward the end of the viral process.  They are swollen because they are fighting the virus.  She now thinks I have two weeks yet to go before I shake this thing.

All I need to do is drink a lot of water, eat nutritious food, sleep as much as I can and take something like Tylenol for the pain.  In fact, aspirin does a better job for me.  Either way, I can take care of this as well as Gary.

As it turned out, he got to the farmhouse at a good time.  The water pipes were frozen.  It will take a while for that mess to be cleared up.

Meanwhile, I need sunshine.  I take lots of Vitamin D3 but good old Sol is better.  This morning the sun beams were shining through the living room window.  I brought down my camping mat, laid it on the floor and sunbathed in shorts.

Later, I got in the Subaru and went off to the Freedom area to take another look at the snowy owl.  The sun glared on the crust of the snow that lays over the field.  I certainly was getting enough Vitamin D.

In the end, I saw the owl and a few other bird species, bringing my yearly total so fr to 15.  Even in the dead of winter, I know that there is life all around.  It is at this time of year that the great horned owls are beginning to nest in the spruce trees out at the city cemetery.  In less than a month, Gary and I can go out and watch the owlets poking their heads out of their nest.

As of today it's only 69 days until spring.  The sun will come out tomorrow morning at 7:27.   It will be enough for me to get some sun before I have to finish my next short story.


No comments:

Post a Comment