Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Damn the Tea Party

Of all the campgrounds I've been to, I love Laura Lake the most. Of all the times to camp at Laura Lake, autumn is the best. In a summer that was so-so, I always knew I had the two weeks here to look forward to. This morning, I took a walk to the bog.  The fall colors are almost at peak, but I figured we would be here for a while so I knew I would be there at that exact moment of perfection. Even today, there were colors set against the blue lake and sky.Our sandy little private beach was waiting for us to have that final plunge.The water is still warm enough.
Another hiker wondered if the national forest campgrounds would close.  Surely not, I thought. Unlike the national parks, the forest campgrounds are not visited more than a couple of times a week by rangers. How much could the nation save by closing down?

I walked on.
The eagle flew overhead. A pileated woodpecker was at work. I kept an eye out for cougars and bears, both of which we know are out there.

I came back to find Gary had finished setting up.  We sat facing the water, wallowing in that glorious Laura Lake light. We talked about other plans for our two weeks.

Then Rick, the ranger stopped by to tell us because of the shut down forced by the House of Representatives, the National Park Service was closing the gates tomorrow afternoon.  We had to move. Gary got up and started putting away all the things he had set up.  There will be no final swim.  No more walks around the lake.  This is the end of our camping season.

I don't know who will be running against Congressman Ribble in the next election, but I will be working on the campaign of anyone who is against him.  It's time to put an end to the Tea Party nonsense. This nation cannot take any more of it.

I know that I was not ready to say good-bye to Laura Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment