Sunday, September 29, 2013

Farewell to Lake Ottawa

I walked down to the boat landing tonight to watch the sun go down. There was a young photographer in hip boots wading around in the water with his camera and tripod, looking for the perfect picture. "It's not easy," I said and he agreed.

I tried, too, though a northwoods autumn in full dress can never be adequately captured no matter how hard we mortals try. We do our best.
I walked up a trail a little way, but still....
So we say good bye to Lake Ottawa. One other campsite is occupied, by Leanne and Paul, who plan on leaving for Lost Lake tomorrow morning.  Gary is packing his gear, taking down the cook tent and putting away everything he brought. Since I don't know where all that stuff goes and at any rate, I'm not the packrat that brought it, I wander around the campground saying good bye.  One last check of the toilets to see that they are clean though at this point it doesn't make much difference. Checking to see if any of the campers left slips on the post the way they are supposed to:  they didn't.

Tomorrow we wait for the service to come collect the bin of toilet paper and the blue instruction booklet we were supposed to study.  We didn't and now it makes no difference. Then we'll roll out of here but even then we won't go home.  It's on to Laura Lake to meet friends and camp for another two weeks before we return home. Even then, we'll only be in Seymour for a week and then go on to Dixon, Illinois and the farmhouse. Gary has estate matters to work on. Me, I never can get enough of autumn, so I'll follow it for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment